Enjoy a Little Holiday Treat: Gooey White Chocolate Cranberry Revel Bars
This time of year is magical, and arguably one of my favorite times of the year (well besides Fall, Fall is just the best in MN). I love being able to spend extra time with family and loved ones, the twinkling Christmas lights, the first snow fall, and the spirit of giving to others that comes with the busy Holiday Season!
But how do you balance the merriment of the season with your fitness/running goals? Simple, moderation!
Over on my recipe blog Brunch N’Cupcakes, I focus on eating a well-rounded clean diet. A diet that is filled with lots of fresh fruits, seasonal veggies, and whole grains. But just because I enjoy eating clean doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the occasional sweet treat! I believe that the occasional treat actually helps keep my healthy diet in check, and that life is too short not to enjoy a cupcake (or sweet treat of choice).
I try to live by the 80/20 approach, eat healthy and clean 80% of the time and the other 20% of the time indulge and live a little! By occasionally indulging in your favorite treats, you can help keep your cravings in check. So my advice, eat the treat and save yourself the post sugar guilt that can come with binging on sweets when we have been too restrictive with our diets!
So with all that being said, I want to share one of my favorite holiday bar recipes. These White Chocolate Cranberry Revel Bars are sweet, decadent and perfect for your Holiday Cookie Platter. Just remember, enjoy everything in Moderation.
Gooey White Chocolate Cranberry Revel Bars
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Bottom:
1 Stick of Butter
3 Cups Rolled Oats
2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/3 Cups Unpacked Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
3/4 Cup Cranberries – Naturally Sweetened (with fruit juice) or if you can find dried unsweetened that would be best!
White Chocolate Filling
1 1/3 Cups White Chocolate Chips
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1- 14 Oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar and butter, beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla into the butter and sugar and mix until well incorporated. Set mixture aside.
- In another large bowl combine oats, flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Mix until dry and wet ingredients are incorporated. Gently stir in cranberries and set Aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter (remaining 2 tablespoons), white chocolate, and sweeten condensed milk. Cook on low heat until white chocolate and butter has melted, stir occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Press two-thirds of the oat mixture onto the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1 inch pan. Spread white chocolate mixture over top of oat mixture. Using your fingers crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over top of the white chocolate.
- Bake bars in a 350 degree oven for 25 – 30 minutes (until tops of bars are slightly browned and the white chocolate looks glossy).
Completely cool bars before cutting and enjoy!