Start Thinking About Spring Marathon Training
It’s almost February which means it’s time to start thinking about spring marathon training!
Planning on running a spring or early summer marathon such as The Boston Marathon, The Med City Marathon or Grandma’s Marathon? If you’re not already, it’s time to start thinking about marathon training! Collectively, our many writers and contributors have decades of marathoning experience and advice. But where should you start? We’ve taken the guesswork out of marathon training preparation and compiled our best links and resources below!
Start Thinking About Marathon Training
Choose a Race & Training Plan
The first step in preparing for a marathon is to pick a race and choose a training plan. Here are a few articles to help get you started:
- How to Pick a Marathon Training Plan
- The Best Marathon Training Plan
- How to Prepare to Crush Your Marathon Training Plan
- Three Ways to Prepare for Your Next Marathon and Beyond
Find Your Training Routes
Next, you’ll want to outline your schedule and choose your training routes and/or group. Here are a few links to help:
- How Busy Runners Can Find More Time to Run
- Our Favorite Spring Running Routes
- Route Spotlight: Lake Nokomis
- Route Spotlight: West River Parkway
- Reroute Your Running with the FASTZach App
- Twin Cities Hills Map
- Indoor Tracks in Minnesota
- 5 Benefits of Running with a Group
- Find a Twin Cities Running Club
Get the Right Gear
Finally, make sure you have all the necessary gear such as proper shoes, comfortable clothing and accessories, and a few good podcasts or playlists for good measure. These articles should point you in the right direction:
- A Beginner’s Guide to Buying Running Shoes
- The Winter Running Gear Guide
- How to Find the Best Winter Running Jacket
- How to Master the Art of Layering for Winter Running
- The Best Spring Running Gear Suggestions by Mill City Running
- What You Need on Marathon Race Day
- What You Need After the Big Race
- 8 Running Related Podcasts for Your Next Long Run
Time to Get Training!
In the coming months, we’ll be highlighting a different marathon training tip each month with articles, links, and resources to support your training journey. Good luck!