Race Review: Lifetime Torchlight 5k
The Lifetime Fitness Torchlight 5k through downtown Minneapolis is an annual summer race that’s an absolute! I had the opportunity to be one of the 4,500+ sweaty people, all smashed together on Hennepin from the Basilica down to Saint Anthony Main.
The streets were lined with spectators, and music blared creating an electric atmosphere. Fire cannons ignited the night sky as we began our trek down Hennepin ave. I couldn’t help but run faster as the energy from fellow racers pulled me along.
This is a fantastic race! Whether you’re an avid racer, or a first timer, this is a great race for you.
Reasons to Run
Here are a few reasons why you might consider running it.
- It’s in the evening, so you don’t have to get up early on the weekend.
- They have great swag (cool t-shirt and beer at the end).
- It’s a great course. Running down Hennepin, onto 3rd St, then Portland Ave, West River Parkway and finishing across the stone arch bridge and St. Anthony Main… amazing.
- It was fast. Because there are so many people, you are constantly passing someone. It makes you feel like you’re flying. I started in the back but used each person ahead of me as a mini goal. I ran a lot faster than I was planning because of this. I was going to jog it around 8 min miles, but ended up running 6:26’s – 20:04 – almost cracked 20 minutes. Maybe next year.
- They mailed out race packets, so I didn’t have to go pick it up. I wish more races would do this. You can also get them at several local retailers.
- Pre-race communication was perfectly adequate. I knew where to be and when.
Once you finally get through the finish chute, there’s a fantastic party, with beer, music, and other “fun stuff” to do. Because it’s in a great spot, there are lots of great places to hang out on St. Anthony Main post race.
Other than that, no complaints here. I’m telling you, that crowd will pull you along! If you need a training plan, Life Time Run will hook you up.
Share your Story
Have you run the Life Time Torchlight 5k? How was it?