Let’s Talk about Half Marathon Training
In 2013, the half marathon was America’s most popular race distance. With an estimated 1.85 million finishers, it continues to grow year over year. Not only are the number of participants increasing, but the number of races has grown as well.
Last year there were 30 inaugural half marathons across the country. Six of them had 5,000 plus runners, and the largest (Portland’s Rock ‘n’ Roll) had over 11,000. In Minnesota alone, there are 52 half marathons!
It’s likely that YOU will want to race a half marathon at some point this year. Tonight, we’re going to talk about some of the best ways to train for your first, or fastest half marathon.
Tonight we’ll be joined by Antonio Vega – elite runner and coach with Zoom Performance. He’ll help answer some of your training questions, as well as provide tips for your races.
As with most twitter chats, our conversation will be all over the place, but we’ll try to focus on things like;
- The best way to train for your first half.
- Local half marathons to set a PR.
- Differences between half and full marathon training.
- Differences between half marathon training and other race distances.
- What you focus on during half marathon training.
- Fueling for a half marathon.
- Common mistakes.
As always, we’ll have our experts weight in, but count on you, the amazing Minneapolis Running community to help provide content for our discussion.
- When: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 9:00 p.m. CST.
- Where: On twitter (details here). Follow the hashtag “#mplsrunning”
- Who: Anyone who wants to talk about running the half marathon!
We hope to see you then!