Wear your Finisher Shirt Friday!
If you haven’t already heard, Friday, April 21st is Finisher Shirt Friday as declared by Governor Mark Dayton.
At the request of Twin Cities In Motion (TCM), Minnesotans are encouraged to wear a finisher shirt (from any race), take a selfie (or group shot) and tag it with #FinisherShirtFriday and share it via social media.
Why Finisher Shirt Friday?
According to the official proclamation, there are several reasons. To paraphrase the official document;
- Minnesotans endured a brutal winter and spring helps us forget how awful it was so we don’t move away.
- Minnesota is heavily invested in building strong, healthy communities (MSP is the healthiest of them all).
- Most of us are beginning to train for races and need a boost.
- The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and TC 10 mile are sort of the highlight events of the year in Minnesota.
- Friday, April 21 marks the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, which united the running community stronger than ever.
- Race finisher shirts are a badge of pride (no matter what they look like), and now we have an excuse to wear them to work (assuming you washed it after your last run)!
TCM executive director Virginia Brophy Achman echoes what many of us feel.
We’re grateful and humbled that the governor has chosen to recognize race finishers with their own special day. Runners often see their accomplishments as private, personal achievements, but their individual triumphs also serve a community-building purpose which I’m honored the governor has acknowledged and emphasized.
To participate, Twin Cities In Motion invites runners to:
- Wear your favorite race finisher shirt (or any race shirt!) on your finisher shirt on FRIDAY, APRIL 21, 2017 and share a photo! It doesn’t matter if it’s at the workplace, during a lunchtime run, or even running errands at the end of the day.
- Share the proclamation with your friends, wear your finisher shirt on Friday, April 21, and help spread the word.
- Post a photo! Share a selfie or photo of yourself and use the hashtag, #FinisherShirtFriday on Instagram, Twitter, or our Facebook page!
- SUPPORT your running community! Whether you send an encouraging text to your running friends, shopping at a local running store, or register for the 36th annual Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, we want to elevate the running community!
- Meet up with your training groups, friends, or family and go for a walk or run!