Wear your Finisher Shirt Friday!
If you haven’t already heard, Friday April 25th is Finisher Shirt Friday as declared by Governor Mark Dayton.
At the request of Twin Cities In Motion (TCM), Minnesotans are encouraged to wear a finisher shirt (from any race), take a selfie (or group shot) and tag it with #FinisherShirtFriday and share it via social media.
Why Finisher Shirt Friday?
According to the official proclamation, there are several reasons. To paraphrase the official document;
- Minnesotans endured a brutal winter and spring helps us forget how awful it was so we don’t move away.
- Minnesota is heavily invested in building strong, healthy communities (MSP is the healthiest of them all).
- Most of us are beginning to train for races and need a boost.
- The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and TC 10 mile are sort of the highlight events of the year in Minnesota.
- Monday, April 21 marked the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, which united the running community stronger than ever.
- Race finisher shirts are a badge of pride (no matter what they look like), and now we have an excuse to wear them to work (assuming you washed it after your last run)!
TCM executive director Virginia Brophy Achman echoes what many of us feel.
“We’re grateful and humbled that the governor has chosen to recognize race finishers with their own special day. Runners often see their accomplishments as private, personal achievements, but their individual triumphs also serve a community-building purpose which I’m honored the governor has acknowledged and emphasized.”
Win Some Cool Stuff
TCM is giving away some cool prizes just for wearing a finisher shirt. Here’s what you need to do.
Take a picture of yourself with your shirt and post it with the hashtag #FinisherShirtFriday and tag TCM in the post (@tcmarathon on Twitter and Instagram; Twin Cities In Motion on Facebook) on Friday, April 25th before 8pm
Random winners will be selected from qualifying posts for prizes including:
- $20 Caribou Gift Card
- $10 iTunes Gift Card
- TCM Prize Packs
- An entry into the Red, White & Boom! Half Marathon
You can also send us your pics and we may feature them in a future post.
What is your favorite finisher shirt?
Nathan started running when he was 14. 20+ years later, he's still going. When he's not running, he enjoys exploring the city with his son, finding new restaurants with his wife, traveling, or backpacking.
Latest posts by Nathan Freeburg (see all)
- The Purpose of an Easy Running Day (and why you need more of them) - August 25, 2014
- 4 Ways to Stay Hydrated while Running - August 20, 2014
- Should You Always Fuel During your Marathon Long Run? - August 18, 2014