Wear your Finisher Shirt Friday!
If you haven’t already heard, Friday April 25th (April 24, 2015) is Finisher Shirt Friday as declared by Governor Mark Dayton.
At the request of Twin Cities In Motion (TCM), Minnesotans are encouraged to wear a finisher shirt (from any race), take a selfie (or group shot) and tag it with #FinisherShirtFriday and share it via social media.
Why Finisher Shirt Friday?
According to the official proclamation, there are several reasons. To paraphrase the official document;
- Minnesotans endured a brutal winter and spring helps us forget how awful it was so we don’t move away.
- Minnesota is heavily invested in building strong, healthy communities (MSP is the healthiest of them all).
- Most of us are beginning to train for races and need a boost.
- The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and TC 10 mile are sort of the highlight events of the year in Minnesota.
- Monday, April 21 marked the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, which united the running community stronger than ever.
- Race finisher shirts are a badge of pride (no matter what they look like), and now we have an excuse to wear them to work (assuming you washed it after your last run)!
TCM executive director Virginia Brophy Achman echoes what many of us feel.
We’re grateful and humbled that the governor has chosen to recognize race finishers with their own special day. Runners often see their accomplishments as private, personal achievements, but their individual triumphs also serve a community-building purpose which I’m honored the governor has acknowledged and emphasized.
Win Some Cool Stuff
TCM is giving away some cool prizes just for wearing a finisher shirt. Here’s what you need to do.
Take a picture of yourself with your shirt and post it with the hashtag #FinisherShirtFriday and tag TCM in the post (@tcmarathon on Twitter and Instagram; Twin Cities In Motion on Facebook) on Friday, April 25th before 8pm
Random winners will be selected from qualifying posts for prizes including:
- $20 Caribou Gift Card
- $10 iTunes Gift Card
- TCM Prize Packs
- An entry into the Red, White & Boom! Half Marathon
You can also send us your pics and we may feature them in a future post.
New in 2015 – Finisher Story Post
- Post can be made on the Twin Cities In Motion Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram pages or can include the event hashtag #myfinisherstory and mention Twin Cities In Motion (If your privacy settings don’t allow us to see your post, private message us!)
- Must include a story (long or short) regarding a finisher/race experience that person had (ex. “This fall, I ran the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon for the first time. It was a huge goal for me to accomplish and something I will always be proud of.”)
What is your favorite finisher shirt?
Nathan currently lives in Portland, but works in Minneapolis and runs wherever he is. Favorite Minnesota running route is anything that takes him along the Mississippi River.
Nathan's day job is as a senior consultant with Leadership Vision Consulting in Downtown Minneapolis.