Wear your Finisher Shirt Friday!
If you haven’t already heard, Friday April 22nd is Finisher Shirt Friday as declared by Governor Mark Dayton.
At the request of Twin Cities In Motion (TCM), Minnesotans are encouraged to wear a finisher shirt (from any race), take a selfie (or group shot) and tag it with #FinisherShirtFriday and share it via social media.
Why Finisher Shirt Friday?
According to the official proclamation, there are several reasons. To paraphrase the official document;
- Minnesotans endured a brutal winter and spring helps us forget how awful it was so we don’t move away.
- Minnesota is heavily invested in building strong, healthy communities (MSP is the healthiest of them all).
- Most of us are beginning to train for races and need a boost.
- The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon and TC 10 mile are sort of the highlight events of the year in Minnesota.
- Monday, April 21 marked the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, which united the running community stronger than ever.
- Race finisher shirts are a badge of pride (no matter what they look like), and now we have an excuse to wear them to work (assuming you washed it after your last run)!
TCM executive director Virginia Brophy Achman echoes what many of us feel.
We’re grateful and humbled that the governor has chosen to recognize race finishers with their own special day. Runners often see their accomplishments as private, personal achievements, but their individual triumphs also serve a community-building purpose which I’m honored the governor has acknowledged and emphasized.
To participate, Twin Cities In Motion invites runners to:
- Wear their favorite finisher shirts on Friday to celebrate and inspire
- Share photos via social media, tagging TCM on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using the hashtag #FinisherShirtFriday
- Share inspiring finisher stories using the hashtag #Myfinisherstory
New in2016, Twin Cities In Motion will award a grand prize complimentary entry to the 2016 Medtronic TC 10 Mile on October 9 to a Finisher Shirt Friday participant who posts using the #FinisherShirtFriday hashtag. The winner of the complimentary entry and winners of other Finisher Shirt Friday drawings will be chosen at random.
Last year’s Finisher Shirt Friday campaign reached more than 150,000 users on social media. For more information visit the Finisher Shirt Friday Facebook event page.
What is your favorite finisher shirt?
Nathan currently lives in Portland, but works in Minneapolis and runs wherever he is. Favorite Minnesota running route is anything that takes him along the Mississippi River.
Nathan's day job is as a senior consultant with Leadership Vision Consulting in Downtown Minneapolis.