Flourless Peanut Butter Carrot Raisin Cookies
If you’re not a peanut butter fan, you can stop reading this right now because this recipe is not for you. Try this instead. However, if you are a lover of the peanut butter I want to introduce you to these Flourless Peanut Butter Carrot Raisin Cookies.
They are so good.
The mix of raisins and peanut butter will forever remind me of ants on a log, AKA the best childhood snack. However instead of celery we have carrots and instead of a crunchy log we have more of a soft mound. It’s similar, but different. Both are very tasty.
The ingredient list is short and sweet and full of good-for-you things. We have…
- Peanut butter for protein and healthy fats
- Honey as a natural sweetener
- An egg to bind things together
- Shredded carrots for moisture, sweetness, and beta carotene
- Raisins for texture, energy, iron, and potassium
- Baking soda for it’s rising power
To make these Flourless Peanut Butter Carrot Raisin Cookies all you need to do is stir all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Then drop tablespoons of the dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
It really is just that simple, but here are some extra tips to help you out:
- If your peanut butter is thick, melt it for 10-15 seconds in the microwave so that it is easy to stir. Feel free to use creamy or chunky.
- Shred your carrots using a grater or food processor and make sure to squeeze out the extra moisture with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. You can also use pre-packaged shredded carrots if you’re short on time.
- You can omit the raisins if you hate them and can replace them with dark chocolate chips if you are feeling slightly more indulgent. You could also do a mix of both!
- To make these vegan, you could use a chia or flax egg. I haven’t tried either method with this recipe, so I’m not 100% sure it would work, but it’s definitely worth a shot!
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt on top of the cookies before putting them in the oven. This is totally optional, but highly recommended.
These cookies are so good and so easy to make that they are almost dangerous. Almost. They are delicious enough to have as an after-dinner treat, but healthy enough to eat as a mid-morning snack or post-run reward.
No danger. No guilt. I hope you enjoy!
Make these Flourless Peanut Butter Carrot Raisin Cookies!
- 1 ½ cups natural peanut butter
- ½ cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded carrots (with excess moisture drawn out)
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon. If the dough seems runny, place it refrigerator or freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared pan about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sea salt, if you want.
- Bake for 8 minutes and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What is your favorite healthy treat?