Easy, Healthy Stovetop Granola
Here’s the thing, I love granola. Love it. But I avoid buying it at all costs. Why? Because it tends to be laden in sugar and sold in big bags and it is so addicting… and I totally overdose on it.
I love it, but I just can’t let myself buy it.
BUT I can let myself make it – a nutritious, small batch, low sugar, super simple, very delicious version of it. This easy, healthy stovetop granola is the type of granola I can handle.
Like most granolas, the base of it is made with oats. These oats are toasted on skillet with coconut oil and a variety of nuts and/or seeds. Once toasted, add in the salt, maple syrup, and vanilla and let it toast a little bit longer. And that is it! It only takes 10 minutes to create this gorgeous pile of delicious granola!
This stovetop granola is so easy and so quick to make, but it is also full of good-for-you things:
- Oats – for soluble fiber and healthy carbohydrates to keep our bodies energized
- Nuts/Seeds – for protein and heart-healthy fats
- Coconut Oil – for fatty acids that help us burn fat and reduce cholesterol
- Maple Syrup – for a natural replacement of processed sugar that also supplies vitamins and minerals
It is also super customizable:
- Use whatever nuts or seeds you like. I used a mix of sunflower seeds, almonds, and cashews, but this would be also be great with hazelnuts, pecans, pepitas, pistachios, peanuts, etc. Use whatever you have on hand in your pantry. Feel free to use a mix or single out your nut of choice.
- Add in some healthy extras. This granola would taste great with dried fruit (like blueberries, cranberries, raisins, or apricots), coconut flakes, or chocolate chips (#treatyoself) mixed in. Stir these things in at the very end, when you put the granola on parchment paper to cool down.
Then serve it up whichever way you like best:
- Stir it into your oats.
- Sprinkle it on top of your yogurt or smoothie bowl.
- Add it to a bowl of milk with a banana.
There are so many possibilities for this easy, healthy stovetop granola. It tastes like a weekend treat, but is healthy enough to eat on weekday mornings. Enjoy!
Healthy Stovetop Granola Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (gluten-free if needed)
- ½ cup seeds or roughly chopped nuts (I used a mix of sunflower seeds, almonds, and cashews)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the coconut oil on a pan over medium heat. Once melted add the oats and nuts/seeds. Make sure everything is coated in the coconut oil. Let this toast for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down slightly then add the salt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir until everything is incorporated and toast for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. It may bubble a little bit. Turn down the heat if it seems like it in burning.
- Spread granola on parchment paper to cool and now you’re all set to enjoy it! The granola will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.