What You Should Know About Club Run Minneapolis
In a previous post, we shared the benefits of running with a group. We’ve decided to reach out to each group listed at the end of the article “5 Reasons You should Run With a Group” to highlight each in the hopes you may find a running group that’s right for you!
I had the pleasure of talking with Ryan Carter of Club Run Minneapolis – Ryan has been with Club Run since 2008 (he’s been a coach since 2010), he loves apples and he loves to sing. Here’s what else we learned about Club Run Minneapolis:
Who is Club Run?
Club Run is a non-profit running group. They’re about having fun with running through friendship and quality training. They do that by offering training for all ages and abilities at distances from one mile to the marathon.
Membership in Club Run will get you a plan for whatever type of race you may be training for (from 5k to an ultramarathon) as well as three weekly runs with the group.
The group meets on Mondays and Wednesday at 6pm and Saturday at 7am. All runs leave from the Kenwood Community Center (located on the North side of Lake of the Isles).
Membership Packages are available for Beginning and Intermediate Runners.
- Beginning: $40 for a 2 month beginner program for those new to running.
- Intermediate: $75 for the spring or fall session OR $130 for the entire year (until February 28th)
*See their website for more details and specifics on membership rates.
Membership also provides you with a coach who will join each weekly run. During the run, coaches ensure the workouts are effective, provide individualized guidance on the training plan and even provide tips on run form (should you want)!
Between runs, coaches communicate to members via email, where they share details of upcoming runs, answer questions and offer additional one-on-one guidance to members – even joining members for runs on off days should they ask.
There are roughly seven coaches (who are all members themselves) who join various runs. Each coach has their area of specialty – beginners, marathoners, trail runners – but all coaches work to know each member’s goals and challenges. No matter what coach joins your run – you’ll have someone who understands what you’re working toward.
Let’s have some Fun!
Since their mission is aimed at having fun while running – I asked Ryan to share a few fun facts about Club Run – and he did not disappoint!
- Our longest serving coach has been on the local news for his cheering squad – check out this example which he claims “Is all Improv”
- We’re nationally recognized authorities on running in the cold.
- Our members have run races all around the globe, from China (several of our members have run there, including on the Great Wall!), to Europe to Japan.
- One of our routes takes us through the Apple store in Uptown.
- We once scared a squirrel so badly that it fell out of a tree – I dug a bit deeper on this one and found out it was due to Ryan’s singing of Total Eclipse of the Heart!
- We’ve had at least two marriages of members in the last three years.
- Our President is well on her way to completing marathons in all 50 states.
- Another member has completed the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning.
- We maintain good relations with other running clubs in the area, which makes running around the lakes in Minneapolis a lot of fun.
There you have it – if you’re looking for a club that can offer you a customized training plan, dedicated coaches who provide individualized support – all while having loads of fun – Club Run Minneapolis just may be the club for you!
Jennifer likes to swim, bike and run in the city of Minneapolis where she lives with her husband and dogs, Ruby and Koa. Her favorite running (and swimming) route is around Lake Nokomis, where you'll often spot her with a four-legged running partner.
Latest posts by Jennifer (see all)
- Start your Morning with these Steel Cut Oats and an Egg on Top! - May 18, 2016
- Favorite Spring Running Things - April 11, 2016
- Why You Should Use a Running Journal - March 28, 2016